Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Beloved(CRR)

In English class we are reading a book called Beloved. The book is darker than the previous work of literature we read. When I was reading this book during the break I wondered why do we always read dark books. Why can't we read a book that doesn't have a dark tone? Do all award winning pieces of literature have to be dark? These were some of my thoughts while reading this book. This is a disturbing book as well because of the imagery of a lady coming out some water and the description of Sethe's back. This book takes you to a time of darkness in American history and makes you sympathize with the characters. I still don't like reading this book because of its dark tone. The previous work of text we read was Heart of Darkness and even that book had a slight dark tone. Compare to Beloved the Heart of Darkness is like a happy day.

It was sad to read as well that many of the men that were slaves had the same name of Paul. One of the things that makes you unique is your name and for so many people to have the same name is wrong I think. Also, the slaves didn't get to choose their own names as well. The slave owner in the book said that his slaves were "men". I disagree one hundred percent with what he said. How can you call someone a man if they are considered your property? How can you consider someone a man if you look at them like they are beneath you? That ignorant statement I read got me thinking a lot of questions like this. As I will continue reading I hope the story gets less dark and more luminous.


3 comments:

  1. Hello. I agreed with your statement about what do most of the books we read have a dark tone. It also makes me think if every sick or twisted thing is actually seen as good in our society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey i had read that book to.the book beloved was a good book in my opinion. it been a while seen i read that book but i agree with you about the dark tone in that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you'll have to let me know what you think at the end.

    ReplyDelete